Friday, June 30, 2017

Part 5 - Configuring the New Controller

At this point in the project, you are ready to head out and start playing. At least I was. Unfortunately the configuration of the controller as installed on my phone was not ideal for what I needed to do. In fact, as I alluded to in the previous post I had a problem that when I rolled the throttle too quickly, or loaded the motor too much the controller would turn off the motor and it wouldn't work until I cycled the ignition key again. After I was told how to configure the controller, that problem and others went away. So let 's look at the last piece of the puzzle, Configuration.

If you haven't already done so, download the Daymak Drive App. Throughout the blog I've linked to Google Play store to download the Android version, but the Apple App store has Daymak Drive App as well.

Daymak has a few guides to help with the app;
Reading both will help with setting up and using the app. They also discuss the various configuration settings as well. I won't be detailing all of them here, but I will touch on the ones that I had to play with to make my Beast perform properly.

Turn the key on, start the Daymak Drive App, and when the list of available Bluetooth devices appear, select "Daymak Drive". The first time you connect you will be asked for the password, which is; 12345678.

Main Screen

Once you are connected you'll see the main screen. Tap the Settings Icon to change the configuration settings. As you can see there are a number of them that you can play with. To get things going we need to look a few of them.
  • Low Voltage Threshold
  • Battery Current Limit(A)
  • Phase Current Limit(A)
  • Speed Notification
  • Wheel Size
The problem I had with the controller cutting off the motor prematurely was caused because the default voltage setting for the Low Voltage Threshold was 63 Volts. So anytime the voltage dropped below 63 Volts the motor stopped until the ignition was cycled. So I was told by the Daymak Technician to set this to 42 Volts. That made all the difference.

The Motor Amperage and Phase Amperage was set at 50%, I was told to put both to 70%. I ended up at 100% to get me all the up my hill, however.

I turned off Speed Notifications because I didn't want to be notified if I was going too fast. But that's your choice.

Wheel Size was incorrect for the Beast as well. As seen on the side of the tire, the wheel size is 10".

There are a lot of other settings that I still need to play with, but overall making the changes mentioned made this upgraded Beast a blast to drive. I'll comment on a few other settings that I've played with, but I may not be completely accurate.
  • Turbo - Turning this "On" help with the road speed noticeably compared to Off-Road.
  • Off-Road - Seems to accelerate at a more leisurely pace.
  • Eco - Noticeably reduces the acceleration and top speed. Good for kids and Grandmas
  • EBS Brakes - Uses the Motor to electrically slow the Beast down. Higher the number, the more noticeable it is. Very helpful on long declines.
  • Forward/Reverse - Allows you to force the motor to spin in the opposite direction.
  • Reverse Speed Limit - limits how fast the motor will spin in reverse.
  • Hall Sensor Phase Angle - Leave at 120 degrees since there are 3 Hall Sensors in the motor. 3 sensors x 120 degrees = 360 rotation.
  • Adjust Accelerator Angle = I didn't notice a big difference, but it seems to change the acceleration from a linear mapping to one where you get more acceleration with less movement of the throttle in the center of its range.
The other settings I haven't worked with enough to truly know what they do. I'll add as I can. I should also mention the Calibration button at the bottom. I ran through this, but didn't notice a difference in how it ran. So I have to try it again and see if I can figure it out.

I know this app is a work in progress, so if I could suggest an improvement, it would be to be able to save all the configuration settings into a profile that would be easy to get to. This would allow me to set the settings for Off-Road Mode, On-Road Mode, Kid Mode, Eco Mode etc. I have found myself wanting to stop and change the settings in the middle of a ride because of the different conditions. Hopefully they will add this feature.

At this point, I'm assuming your Beast is running at least as well as mine. I'll continue to add information to this blog as it becomes available. Happy Trails!





19 comments:

  1. I just got a brand new beast and have an issue
    With reading on the app. I have the settings where I like but
    In turbo there s no acceleration , then it kicks in. Starting at an intersection is dangerous as it's so slow. The display under heading hall sensor has rhe wordbrake running through it constantly when I get off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason your bike says that is because the kickstand on the Beast has bottle shut off so that you do not hit the gas when the kickstand is down this in turn turn the brake light on which tells the computer the brakes are on that's why it says that

      Delete
    2. This is definitely not an upgrade this is a downgrade by ruining your batteries do not drop your batteries below 10 volts of the voltage of the bike this is information straight from the horse's mouth I work for daymak and I have been selling daymak product since 2000

      Delete
    3. Ihello everyone I just bought a daymak EM2 and I'm am looking for a dealer password none of the others work

      Delete
  2. It's been a couple of years since I've had to play with the app for mine, but I believe there is a acceleration "curve" setting that you can adjust how the power comes in. I'd take a look for that setting and play with it. Let me know if you get it fixed and what it took.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is dealer settings on the app but dont know the password.....anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a dealer for daymak my password is kris1044 it does not work for me lol but you can try it it has worked for other people when you are on the speedometer screen you tap the screen three times with four fingers this will bring up the dealer password setting enter my password and see if you can get in as for the low voltage threshold like this post is started from this other guy is telling you guys to put it at 42 volts that is extremely bad and extremely wrong and extremely extremely detrimental to saving your battery if you do you can only go 10 bolt slower than your bike if you have a 60 volt bike then you can only put it down to 50 people if you really want to get technical you cannot drop your batteries lower than 10.5 volt scooter battery 60 volt bike has buy batteries 10.5 ×5 is 52 1/2 volts this is fine but if you go lower than this you are dropping the voltage in the battery too far which will sulphate the batteries in turn destroying your batteries by draining them too far this is for led acid batteries do not I repeat do not drop your bikes any lower than 10 volts of the voltage

      Delete
    2. Hi i have a daymak moped 60v, so my question is about Low Voltage Threshold now the app show me in 42v
      Battery Current Limit(A) 75% and
      Phase Current Limit(A) 100%, so what is the best configuration for my v60?
      And the changes are for all 3 speeds controlled on the handledbar? Or just for the 1st position?

      Delete
  4. I also need the dealer password it is not 1234567 that is to use as your first password someone made mine go to fast I need the dealer password for my daymak eagle to make the speed slower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the arrow from them and I'm looking for dealer password as well

    ReplyDelete
  6. My odometer has maxed out and the app freezes now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello everyone, I downloaded the application, connected the device, started the program, entered the password 1234567. I just open the main window, the bluetooth connection falls off, an error pops up. What can be?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got em1 for giving to me ive got threw all wires after someone tried rip ignition out now it's riged to run until fixed was wrking good for 2 3 days here I could connect to app took daughter out drained battery now everything is still turning on lights says have power speedometer even moves when hold throtel but the bike clicks sounds like something grinding any ideas what may happen is the motor just shot or something I did in app any tips be awsome my kids live the thing for lil rips so just trying g get her back going not much for them to do with all the covud drama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a misalignment of your phase to hall sensors on the motor connectors on the controller, a slight short can cause this. The lights horn and dash run through your dc to dc converter

      Delete
  9. I have a new pithog dealer password? Kris and ability don't work

    ReplyDelete