Sunday, July 9, 2017

Manual Cruise Mode, Pretty Cool

I've had a great time getting to know the Beast. I've been riding it a lot and consequently my wrist is sore from twisting the throttle so much. So when I saw the pigtail coming from the new controller labeled "Manual Cruise" I was intrigued to see how it might work. As it turns out it works quite well. Here's how to hook it up.

Added the Manual Cruise Circuit

I used the same basic technique to setup "Manual Cruise" as I did to setup the "Reverse" mode. Since I'm not using the horn, I had 2 momentary switches available-one on each hand grip. I used the left hand horn button to set up the "Reverse" mode, and the right hand horn button for the "Manual Cruise" mode.

The controller has a pigtail with 2 wires labeled "Manual Cruise". If you connect these two wires momentarily while the throttle is on you can release the throttle and it will continue to run. Momentarily touch the two wires again, then the motor will stop being energized. BTW: I noticed that when the throttle is twisted and released while in this mode, the motor will de-energize as well.

So using the the right hand horn switch is a logical and easy way to get this feature working. We still need to find the proper wires coming off this switch to the electrical box. In my case, it was the Orange and Green wires that came from the right hand grip's horn switch.

The Orange and Green Wires come from the Horn Switch


I used the remaining wire that ran to the controller which I found when looking for unused wires already in the harness, then added another wire and ran it myself back to the controller area. I laid my wire up against the existing harness and taped the wire to the entire length of the harness.

As I've done for the entire project, I used a Weatherpack connector to connect the "Manual Cruise" pigtail to the the proper harness wires, which connect to the right hand horn switch. But any weather protected connector should work fine. For more info on how to setup the Weatherpack connector, check this tutorial out.

One last detail; you have to enable this feature in the Daymak Drive app for it to work. Just connect the app to the controller, and tap the "Settings" icon. Scroll the list down till you see the "Manual Cruise" setting and turn it on. Note: there is also an Automatic Cruise setting, but it didn't seem to make any difference in how cruise worked. So I still have some research to do on what Automatic Cruise does.

Here's a video of the "Manual Cruise" mode working.


I've enjoyed this mode of operation, as it has made it more comfortable to ride.



No comments:

Post a Comment